How do you convey meaning with text? Particularly when you can only use one color and one font. I'll work and work, and I'll come up with something I like, but then I imagine my professor saying, "So, how is that you see this really conveying the quote," and the inevitable moment of silence before I confess, "Well, actually, I just like how it looks. And the scripty font, that fits the word 'love,' I think."
Design, writing, art, these are all subjective things, and when I sit down to write, or when I take a photo, I'm not so worried that anyone will tell me its wrong. They might offer suggestions, might tweak here and there, and I welcome that.
But with this assignment (which is UTTERLY subjective) I am feeling completely convinced that no matter what I do it will, in fact, be wrong. Bollocks. (I've been watching a selection of Irish and Australian films this evening.)
So, I have my five options and am no closer to feeling I've conveyed the quote than I did when I had zero options. I keep resizing the font, sliding it around on the page, increasing spacing, decreasing spacing, but it's all the same, and no matter what I do wind up with, my ability to explain why what I've done completes the assignment will be non-existent.
But that's enough whining out of me. I'm back to InDesign. I leave you with Sunday's self-portrait, taking while walking down North Charles, with the shutter speed set far to slow. Today's self-portrait will be up tomorrow, as I've loaned my camera to a colleague who needed to take some pictures for work.

No comments:
Post a Comment