Tuesday, January 27, 2009

and now for something completely indifferent (or, homework assignment 1)

We've been asked to explore websites that present a creative narrative. I find this challenging, because it's not something I spend much time seeking out. And I'm not entirely sure how much wiggle room that allows. Would a blog count? I don't know. But here are some of the things that have struck me.

1. The Big Picture

This website presents news stories in photographs. And I suppose most would say news stories really don't fall under creative narrative. But it is certainly a narrative, and a creative way to approach it. And in my own writing I often use news stories or photographs as a jumping off point, so I feel a particular connection to this.

I think what makes it work is that it actually allows its images to be big and striking. Instantly the viewer can be taken in by the images. I think it works because, while it does provide the news story, it gives the viewer the time to get lost in the images, to imagine what the story might be, or even to apply the story. And each image is selected to carry an entire narrative in and of itself. But the images also work together as a larger narrative of our time, current events.

As for what's not working, I'd say the layout. I give it credit because it is a news site, but I think it could be so much more striking if they let the images take center stage. Perhaps an all black background, and a mouse-over to read the stories. Right now on my monitor, the first photo is cut off by the "fold" of the website.



2. PLZMARRYMEKTHX

This one is done by a friend of mine from Missouri. It's open marriage proposals to a variety of famous women.

The thing that I enjoy about it is the subject matter (it makes me laugh out loud), the one, which is consistently tongue in cheek and wry, and that it's not an idea I ever would have thought of. I'm pretty convinced that Thomas should be headed for internet stardom.

The only thing I would change is the frequency of his posts. I'd like to see more. And if he did that, a more individualized blog template might be suiting.

3. Postal Poetry

I love this site. The collaboration between photographers and poets. The narratives of the poems are typically quite short, but there's a sense of whimsy and joy to most of them that I love.

I struggle to find anything I would improve. I like the clean design, the way it centers on the narrative while accomplishing the basics (providing info on the project, submissions, etc.)Perhaps if it were my website, I would tweak the color and typography, but something in the plainness of it allows the design to take backseat to the stories.

Other interesting sites that didn't make the cut for my homework assignment:
Center for Digital Storytelling (good idea, decent design, execution feels a little cheesy to me)
The Flickr Creative Comments group (interesting idea and application, but didn't feel quite like what we needed to look at for this. and i find it incredibly irritating that you're only allowed to post on Mondays. It's limiting and inconvenient.)

No comments: